I’m a raw food author, but I’m also an avid raw food reader. And one book that I enjoyed and think you will too is Elaina Love’s new book Raw and Beyond.
I’ve known Elaina for more than a decade. Ten years ago, she and I worked together at the Living Light Culinary Institute in California. From there, we went on to teach a couple of classes in Chicago. We don’t see each other often (or often enough), but we work hard to stay in touch. She’s a beautiful and inspiring woman that I’m proud to call my friend.
Elaina is a professional raw and vegan food chef, instructor, and lifestyle counselor. She began teaching and creating healthy foods for the public in 1998 after she, herself, found healing and health in a raw food diet. Her outreach includes culinary certification courses, cleansing courses, and healthy lifestyle products.
Elaina’s slogan is, “Bringing pure joy and gourmet bliss to the planet.” She does that with scrumptious recipes such as her Pasta Pesto over Kelp Noodles which she has generously agreed to let me share with you here:
Pesto Pasta over Kelp Noodles
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients for the Pesto
- 1/2 cup basil, arugula, spinach, or cilantro, very tightly packed
- 1/2 cup parsley, very tightly packed (parsley helps keep the pesto from turning brown)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or to taste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon mellow white miso paste (for a cheesy taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or omega-3-rich walnuts (walnuts should be soaked for 8 hours and rinsed well)
Ingredients for the Noodles
- 1 (12- or 16-ounce) package kelp noodles, rinsed well
Put all the pesto ingredients in a food processor fitted with the S-blade and process until smooth but with a little texture. Top the noodles with the pesto, stir and serve.
Like Elaina, I never get tired of pesto; the greens are so alkalizing and energizing. No wonder we both make it a raw food staple in our kitchens.
Have YOU read Elaina’s book or visited her site? If so, I hope you’ll post a comment below.