Yield: 1 cup, 6 servings
This aromatic sauce gives meals an authentic Italian flavor.
- 2 cups basil leaves, stemmed and firmly packed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, walnuts, or pecans
- measuring cups
- garlic press
- measuring spoons
- food processor
- rubber spatula
Put the basil, oil, garlic, and salt in a food processor fitted with the S blade and process until the basil is chopped. Add the pine nuts and process until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down the work bowl with a rubber spatula. Do not overprocess; flecks of pine nuts should be visible throughout. Stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator, Pesto will keep for 5 days.
Per serving: calories: 129, protein: 1 g, fat: 14 g, carbohydrate: 1 g, fiber: 0 g, sodium: 136 mg