Yield: 1 serving
This sophisticated salad works as a side dish or a meal. Its crunchy texture and juicy, sweet-sour flavor is refreshing and satisfying.
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup thinly sliced green or red cabbage
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 granny smith apple, cut into thin strips (see note)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews, unsoaked
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- cutting board
- chef’s knife, 8-inch
- mandoline (optional, for thinly slicing cabbage)
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- citrus juicer or reamer
- medium bowl
- rubber spatula
Put the cabbage, carrots, red bell pepper, sesame oil, lime juice, and salt in a medium bowl and massage gently with your hands to soften. Add the apple, coconut, cashews, and cilantro, and toss to combine. Stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator, Thai Salad will keep for 24 hours.
Note: To cut the apple into thin strips, stack several slices and cut lengthwise into matchsticks. Repeat with the remaining slices.